We are proud to offer a referral ophthalmology service here at Primrose Hill Veterinary Clinic in Dublin.
Primrose Hill is home to one of the Ireland’s well-established Veterinary Ophthalmology teams.
The team's experience and expertise extend to diagnosing, treating and managing numerous patients with a full range of complex eye conditions.
In addition, our team is supported by highly trained veterinary nurses providing compassionate post-operative and follow up patient care.
What can I Expect if my Pet is Referred to an Ophthalmic Specialist?
The starting point for each patient referred to Primrose Hill is a full consultation and discussion with the owner. The routine ophthalmic examinations and further diagnostic techniques that can be performed include:
- Schirmer tear test readings
- Slit-lamp biomicroscopy and tonometry (rebound or applanation)
- Close and distant direct ophthalmoscopy
- Indirect ophthalmoscopy
- Advanced diagnostic techniques i.e. ocular ultrasonography and electroretinography
What are the Most Common Ophthalmic Conditions?
Our Ophthalmologists have a broad range of interests in both medical and surgical eye conditions including:
- Eyelid disorders and reconstructive lid surgery
- Glaucoma management
- Investigation and treatment of ocular inflammatory disease
- Sudden onset blindness/SARDS (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome)
- Corneal sequestrum and corneal grafting procedures for the management of corneal ulcers and other disorders of the cornea.
Our team also have an interest in lens luxation and cataract surgery in dogs.
Please be mindful, this service is specifically available for referring vets. If you are a pet owner, please contact your own practice for a referral.
Pet Ophthampology Case Studies
Primrose Hill Vets has removed an incredible 1kg of excess skin during a facelift on a Bassett Hound who had been left struggling to see due to his drooping and sagging eyelids.